Monday, 2 March 2015

What songs are helpful in CBT?


To get away from an over-clinical, unfriendly caricature that CBT is sometimes associated with, it can be helpful to make CBT more human. One way of doing this is to mention songs that reflect CBT principles or ideas. Here are a few I have used

1. Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell)




An great old song, some younger folks may be familiar with it from Love Actually.


The message here is - there is more than one way of looking at things  - the negative one isnt necessarily the only one. Perhaps I can look at this another way.

2. Paint it, Black - The Rolling Stones



Another old classic - illustrates "how you feel affects how you think" principle. When we are depressed, we paint everything black. This song can help the client feel understood - and perhaps provide some distancing from this unhelpful strategy

3. Hold Your Head Up  Argent




I've mentioned this song to clients with social anxiety - don't care what other people think, hold yuor head up. One client turned it into a helpful mantra.

4. Fans of The Sopronos might remember with affection Tony's lamenting that he wish he was more like the Happy Wanderer of the song.  There's plenty of evidence that exercise can help overcome low mood, and this song coud link with behavioural activation in general.



5. Here's one that you won't find in the charts -  Windy Dryden's classic renditioning of Moves Like Jagger Dryen


I've previously posted a playlist of happy songs that might also be helpful!

Finally, here's a competition to turn unhelpful song lyrics into helpful lyrics - give it a go!


What songs would you add to these as helpful or relevant for CBT?

3 comments:

  1. Great Thanks to Mss. Berit for helping me when i needed help.
    My name is Sharon Marian from USA I never believe in love spells until I experience Berit Magical Temple, and after she cast a love spell for me my Ex called me to apologize for the pain that she has caused me and till today we are living a happy family, if you need a right place to solve your problems contact beritmagicaltemple@gmail.com is the right choice. she is a great woman that have been casting spells with years of experience, she cast spells for different purposes like:

    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)You want women/ men to run after you.
    (5)If you want a child.
    (6)[You want to be rich.
    (7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours
    forever.
    (8)If you need financial assistance.
    (9)Herbal care

    Contact him today on: beritmagicaltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      I want to share a testimony of my life to every one. i was married to my husband George Morgan, i love him so much we have been married for 5 years now with two kids. when he went for a vacation to France he meant a lady called Clara, he told me that he is no longer interested in the marriage any more. i was so confuse and seeking for help, i don't know what to do until I met my friend Miss Florida and told her about my problem. she told me not to worry about it that she had a similar problem before and introduce me to a man called Dr Azuka who cast a spell on her ex and bring him back to her after 3days. Miss Florida ask me to contact Dr Azuka. I contacted him to help me bring back my husband and he ask me not to worry about it that the gods of his fore-fathers will fight for me. He told me by three days he will re-unite me and my husband together. After three day my husband called and told me he is coming back to sought out things with me, I was surprise when I saw him and he started crying for forgiveness. Right now I am the happiest woman on earth for what this great spell caster did for me and my husband, you can contact Dr Azuka on any problem in this world, he is very nice, here is his contact Dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com, He is the best spell caster. call him on +2348132777355.

      Delete
  2. Informative ideas , I Appreciate the specifics - Does anyone know where my assistant can acquire a template NJ CN 11380-English document to fill in ?

    ReplyDelete